Celebrate the start of summer at our first annual Summer Host Get Together!!
Here are the details:
- 1) When: 1:30-4:30 PM, Sunday June 23!
- 2) Where: We have an absolutely amazing venue at Martha Snider’s vast, awe-inspiring grounds! 8500 Flourtown Ave, Glenside, PA.
- 3) Who: For our hosts and supporters–bring yourself, your family, your friends!
- 4) What to bring:
The event is potluck, so your “price of admission” is to bring at least 1 course for 8 people, i.e., salad, appetizer,main dish, dessert.
HfH will provide the beer, wine, lemonade et al!
You’re also invited to bring your favorite musical instrument (see below)!
5) Top 5 things to do:
#1: Stroll the grounds of the Wharton-Sinkler Estate!
When you drive up you’ll think you’re arriving at Downton Abbey! 36 acres of “Wow!”
#2: Bring your favorite musical instrument!
There is an outdoor amphitheater set in the grass! Music circle! Music circle!!
#3: Open mic!
Step up to sing, perform, tell your stories, do your thing!
Layout your blanket and lawn chairs around the performance circle as you…
#5: …Mingle with your fellow hosts!
The best thing of all to do!
You guys are great! It’ll be awesome for everyone to meet one another!!
ALSO IN 2013
- This May, Philadelphia Insurance Companies joined the effort to add more hosts to the HfH network by starting a program to invite its employees to become hosts.
- This March, CHOP joined the effort to add more hosts to the HfH network by starting a program to invite CHOP employees to become hosts. Understandably CHOP employees will not be lodging CHOP patient-families.
- This Janauary, 13 new families signed up to be hosts after receiving an email that was sent out to the broader Greater Philadelphia community about the need for lodging for the family of a 2-1/2 year-old Israeli boy coming to the Children’s Hospital of Philadepia (CHOP) for 3-6 months.
FROM OUR ARCHIVES
- American Cancer Society Bike-a-Thon. Four new families signed up to join our host-network after meeting HfH Director Mike Aichenbaum and Outreach Coordinator Tammy Forstator at our canopy at the ride finish line.
- 1st Annual Brian J. Early Memorial Golf Tournament. One new host signed up to join our host-network after listenting to guest Kevin Mietzler speak about his experience staying at a host-home.
- Israel Independence Day Celebration at Penn’s Landing. Eight new families signed up to join our host-home network after meeting Outreach Coordinator Tammy Forstator at our table.
- University City Clark Park Fair. Four new families signed up to join our host-network after meeting HfH Director Mike Aichenbaum and host and UC resident Bruc McCullough at our canopy.
HFH on CBS 3 Philadelphia News
Philadelphia Magazine lists HOSTS for HOSPITALS
as one of “10 Ways to Give Back 2010 Holiday Season”
The first slide at this link features hosts Joan & Vince Castronuovo
with a guest family of theirs from the Philippines.
HFH HELPS SET UP A HOST-HOMES PROGRAM IN FLORIDA!
On September 27-28, 2010 HfH Executive Director Mike Aichenbaum and Director of National Programs Nancy Wimmer traveled to Hollywood, Florida as consultants for the creation of a host-homes program for the Memorial Regional Health System.
HfH 10TH ANNIVERSARY AUCTION GALA TAKES PLACE AT THE
PLEASE TOUCH MUSEUM!
It seems like just yesterday that we lodged our first family! The patient was a woman visiting from Florida who while giving birth to premature twins was discovered to have a stage-four cancer. It was July 2000 and the family had to give up their hotel room due to the start of the Republican National Convention in Philadelphia. Ten years later all of the members of this family are doing well, and since then HfH has lodged 1,800 other patient-families!
Our 10th Anniversary gala celebration took place November, 2010!